When Life Gets Messy



Life can knock the wind right out of you at a moment’s notice.
Life can even kick you when you are already down.
Life can break you of your desire to love and be loved…

BUT…

Life is also filled with amazing moments of laughter, joy and hope.

  • A baby’s cry.
  • A hug from a friend at just the right moment.
  • A note of thanks “just because”.
  • A walk down the beach with a friend as you share your hopes and dreams together.
  • An afternoon of baking sugary treats, just for fun.
  • A long car ride with a friend to a destination undetermined, just driving.
  • A coffee date with someone who just wants to listen, no judgment.
  • A giggle fit with your best friend over absolutely nothing {and everything}.
  • And so many more…

So, how are we to maneuver through this messy life?  Do we ignore the hardships and choose to relish in only the good?  Do we wallow in the hardships while overlooking the joy?  Dare I say we need a little bit of both, well, maybe not the wallow part?  For both the hard times and good times we can rest in God’s good intention, His sovereignty, His character, His love.  In those good times, we keep those we love close so they can experience the fullness of the joy with us.  In those hard times, we equally keep our loved ones close in order to pull back from the darkness, which can so easily envelope us if left alone. 

Throughout the Psalms, we see stanzas of joy, hope and fulfillment, but we also see stanzas of deep hurt, anguish and fear.  We are going to experience both and I am so grateful that in both emotions I {we} have a God who will be our refuge, our shield, our strength.  Here are a few of my favorite passages to turn to in times of both joy and trouble.

“He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High 
will abide in the shadow of the Almighty.  
I will say to the Lord, 
‘My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.’”
{Psalm 91:1-2}

“God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.  
Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way, 
though mountains be moved into the heart of the sea, 
though its waters roar and foam, 
though the mountains trembling at its swelling…
be still, and know that I am God…”
{Psalm 46: 1-3, 10a}

“The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.  
He makes me lie down in green pastures.  
He leads me beside still waters.  
He restores my soul.  
He leads me in paths of righteousness for His name’s sake.  
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, 
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.”
{Psalm 23:1-3, 6}

“The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?  
The Lord is the stronghold of my life; oh whom shall I be afraid?  
When evildoers assail me to eat up my flesh, 
my adversaries and foes, it is they who stumble and fall.

“Hear O Lord, when I cry aloud; be gracious to me and answer me!  
You have said, ‘seek my face.’  
My heart says to you, ‘Your face, Lord, do I seek'.  
Hide not your face from me.  
Turn not your servant away in anger, o you who have been my help.  
Cast me not off; forsake me not, O God of my salvation!

“Wait for the Lord; 
be strong, and let your heart take courage; 
wait for the Lord!”
{Psalm 27:1-2; 7-9; 14}


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Year...a Semi-BIG year!

A Dream

Perspective