Marriage: loving as God loves



Marriage.  It has been on the forefront on my mind for several weeks while helping a friend with final wedding prep.  I've always thought and looked at marriage as a unique, special and amazing way to represent the reign of God!  On Friday the Supreme Court made a monumental decision...on Saturday, two believers entered into a covenantal union as husband and wife in one of the most Christ-centered ceremonies I've attended {not surprising since the bride's father, a pastor, officiated}.  

Over the course of Friday and Saturday FB exploded.  Some good, some bad and some just not sure what to think or how to respond.  

My heart aches for those who struggle with knowing who and Whose they are.  My heart aches with those who want a relationship.  My heart aches with those who want to love and be loved.  I get it.  I really do.  

I resonate with Benjamin Watson​ as he says, 
"Today, I am not disappointed because of the possible restrictions on religious exercise, the inevitable categorization of biblical teaching as hate speech and pastors as bigots, the shift in American culture, its implications and the judicial and legislative process that has brought us to this point. I am, however, saddened because of the corporate celebration and glorification of sin which renders us separated from our Creator, exposed to the natural consequences of our actions and in desperate need of a spiritual renewal and revival."   
I too so badly want them to know the one, true, triune, creator, redeemer God, but I cannot force them.  I cannot make them see.  The inability to help frustrates and saddens me.  
However, I can do something.  As Mike Wittmer​ said recently on his blog, 
"This is an exciting, important time to be a follower of Jesus Christ. Our lost culture needs us now more than ever. We don’t have to be spectacular to stand out. Just love our spouses, raise godly children, and generally have our act together, and we should have plenty of opportunities to help those who are living against the grain."  
Obedience to God and His Word are the two major keys.  I know I'm going to mess up.  I know my life still has sin, but my goal is to strive to live my life as authentically, biblically and holy as possible.  

  • Ready to love with God's definition of love {which will not be easy}.  
  • Ready to forgive.  
  • Ready to serve.  
  • Ready to listen.  
  • Ready to do whatever is asked of me which could bring Glory to God and help His people flourish.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Year...a Semi-BIG year!

A Dream

Perspective